Monday, December 16, 2013

Tom Hiddleston Recites W.H. Auden Poem

Earlier this year, I watched The Hollow Crown, a miniseries of adaptations from William Shakespeare's history plays (Richard II, Henry IV Parts One and Two, and Henry V). The TV production was lavish and the acting was stellar, but I more or less tuned in to ogle the lovely Ben Whishaw, who portrayed King Richard. Also starring in the miniseries was Tom Hiddleston. Although Hiddleston was marvelous as Prince Hal, he didn't have as much of an effect on me as Mr. Whishaw.

I finally get the whole Tom Hiddleston thing.
Image via www.redcarpetcrash.com

In recent weeks, however, I have come around to realizing the charm of Tom Hiddleston, in large part due to this spectacular GIF that I stumbled upon one night. Hiddleston most recently earned the distinction of "Sexiest Man Alive," based on an MTV.com poll. I wouldn't go as far to say that he is sexy, but I do admit that Hiddleston has gorgeous eyes and a great smile, and he seems to be sweet, quite playful, and a lot of fun. Overall, I find him adorable. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he has an alluring English accent.

You can enjoy Hiddleston's wonderful accent as he recites the 1937 W.H. Auden poem "As I Walked Out One Evening." First published in Auden's 1940 volume, Another Time, the poem "is a variant of the ballad form, made up of fifteen quatrains. It's a meditation on love and the remorseless of time, told in three voices: the narrator, a rapturous lover, and the reproachful clocks that speak back to the lover," according to Open Culture. I think Hiddleston reads the poem beautifully. Hear so for yourself by clicking on the YouTube video below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment