Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Short Books Great for Those with Little Time

I haven't been doing much reading for pleasure these days. Between my job and my summer course - with its accelerated deadlines for assignments - there isn't much time to read for fun. So I'm glad the book club I'm a part of chose David Eagleman's Sum, a slender book of short fictional stories that can be read quickly.


If you're also finding yourself short on time but still wanting to satisfy your book lust, check out the list of "10 Literary Classics You Can Totally Read in a Week or Less." Compiled by Caroline Diezyn for Offbeat Home, the list contains books that have been on my to-read list for a while. Among them are Death in Venice, by Thomas Mann; Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.; and The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. It's nice to know that such great books are 200 pages or less, with Death in Venice clocking in at only 60 pages.

For each of the 10 books, Diezyn helpfully gives a page count, a brief summary, and an excerpt that is sure to pique your interest. Take a look at this excerpt that she selected from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, one of her picks: "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other."

If you haven't already read Frankenstein, then I bet you do now!

Frankenstein, Death in Venice, Dorian Gray, and Slaughterhouse-Five are just four of the books on Diezyn's list of "10 Literary Classics You Can Totally Read in a Week or Less." To see all 10, go to the link HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment