Thursday, July 31, 2014

Great Tips for Packing Books for a Move

In anticipation of my move at the end of August, I weeded my personal library, removing books that I knew I wouldn't read again or could otherwise do without. I ended up with four grocery bags full of books that I donated to a local nonprofit.
 
Packing books for a big move can actually be a sunny chore.
Image via http://www.theroamantics.com

"Culling your shelves" is one of "8 Tips for Moving When You Have a Ton of Books," offered by Kim Ukura in an article for BookRiot. "One of the best things about moving," says Ukura, "is that it provides the perfect motivation to clear some of those books that have been lingering on your shelves. Take a few runs through your bookshelves and ask yourself whether you really want to carry this book to a new place. More often than not the answer will be a resounding no." 

Having already gone over my bookshelf, I know the next step is to start packing my books. The other day, I picked up a bunch of small boxes that were discarded by the liquor store around the corner. "Use small boxes" is another of Ukura's tips for moving your books. "This seems fairly obvious," she says, "but it's a mistake I always make. I've found that liquor store boxes, banana boxes, and old shipping boxes work well for books." If you must use larger boxes, Ukura advises that you only fill them partially with books in order to keep them from being heavy. You can fill the rest of the large box space with clothes and other lightweight items.

In her timely article for BookRiot, Ukura also presents ways to "Think creatively about packing options," "Pack strategically and label judiciously" and "Pack carefully." One especially great piece of advice Ukura has is to "Box the books early." I think it's human nature to wait until the last minute and then scramble to get stuff done, but I've got so much going on in the upcoming weeks that the more I can get done earlier, the better. So I'm beginning to pack up my books now. Doing so now will allow me the time to get more boxes for my books if needed.

Another bit of wisdom that Ukura shares is to "Remember your emergency reading materials." Really great idea. What if I finish my current book before my move, but all of my other books are already packed up? Ukura cautions, "Don't pack all of your books! Make sure you leave out a few options to read before or after your move, especially if you'll be without your full library for any length of time. Put these books in the same box you put all of your other 'emergency' supplies like medication and cell phone chargers." I will most definitely do that.

For "8 Tips for Moving When You Have a Ton of Books," see Kim Ukura's article for BookRiot at THIS LINK. (Be sure to check out the reader comments section for additional tips, especially pertaining to packing and shipping options.) If you're moving soon, too, then the very best of luck to you (and to me)! Now I'm off to pick up more boxes from the liquor store.

3 comments:

  1. Fill the empty gaps in the packing boxes . It will secure the books in place. You can use an old newspaper and clothes for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good tips! When you’re packing for a move, you always want to moving boxes up the items you use the least, and then gradually work your way up to things you use weekly or daily. This allows you to get your packing started early without feeling like you’re missing any necessities in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful blog, thanks for sharing this amazing information. We are online packaging materials supplier in Australia where you can Buy Packing Boxes, Mailing Boxes, Moving Boxes, Bubble Mailer, Packing Tape, Card Mailer, Poly Mailer, Printer Toner, Pallet Wrap, EFTPOS Rolls Online at wholesale price. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete